Our first action must be to combat the direct and immediate threats that will start on January 3rd, 2017 when the new Congress is seated: repeal of Obamacare, block granting of Medicaid, privatization of Medicare, deportation of the undocumented, opposition to Trump department secretary appointments and new Supreme Court Justice, repeal of Dodd Frank and threats to the CFPB, defunding of Planned Parenthood, overturning of Roe v. Wade and the gutting of Clean Water and Clean Air Acts.
There is much to do to, and all of it is important. The future of our nation surely hangs in the balance–the promise of the New Deal of the 1930’s, the dreams of the Great Society of the 1960’s and all the future goals of an American society striving for freedom, justice and equality for all are under direct attack. It may seem daunting, but as the Spanish poet Antonio Machado wrote: “As you walk, you make your own road.”
All opponents of the Trump/Ryan GOP have to play defense on the most important safety net items NOW. If Ryan, Trump and the GOP are successful at, for instance, materially changing the entire structure of Medicare to privately managed accounts run through the financial services industry–rather than a stated public entitlement–that entitlement will never be brought back: not in our lifetimes, not in our children’s lifetimes, maybe never.
As if that isn’t enough of a project, there needs to be a second wave of activism focusing on the weaknesses of our political structure:
- We need to roll back the GOP’s voter suppression programs and fight for automatic and universal registration for all–regardless of race, offender status and any other groups targeted for exclusion from suffrage.
- We must make election day a national holiday and day off.
- The Democrats must invest in a robust outreach and organizing operation geared toward young people and those red states where changing ethnic demographics can put a state into electoral play.
- We must eliminate the Electoral College.
The overall political goals are threefold:
- More Democratic wins in state legislatures in order to have the ability to redraw election districts after the 2020 Census, eliminating the kind of gerrymandering of U.S. Congressional districts that currently allows the R’s to receive fewer votes than the D’s, yet still control more seats.
- Take back Democratic control of the U.S. Senate in 2018 in order to give us breathing room from the onslaught of right-wing Trump/Ryan legislation.
- Defeat Cheeto Nazi in 2020.
Donald Trump is the biggest popular vote loser in history to ever call himself President- Elect. In spite of the fact that he has no mandate, he will attempt to use his congressional majority to reshape America in his own racist, authoritarian, and corrupt image. If progressives are going to stop this, we must stand indivisibly opposed to Trump and the members of Congress who would do his bidding. Together, we have the power to resist — and we have the power to win.